STANLEY DUB has practiced law since 1975 as in-house attorney for major NYSE-traded corporations, and in private practice with medium to large law firms. In 2006 he opened his own law practice in suburban Cleveland.
A member of the American Bar Association’s Forum on Franchising since 1990, Mr. Dub represents Franchisors and Franchisees in all 50 states. He is frequently engaged to consult or testify as an expert on Franchise Law. Since 2016, he has been Adjunct Professor of Law at Case Western Reserve University Law School, teaching Franchise Law.
Mr. Dub played a leading role in passage of the 2012 amendments to Ohio’s Business Opportunity Act, the state’s only law relating to franchising. He was pivotal in forming the Ohio Bar Association Committee that worked on the amendments. He then wrote the first draft of the proposed amendments, served on the Committee that wrote the version submitted to the legislature, and testified on the Bill in the Ohio House of Representatives.
Mr. Dub has prepared and registered franchise disclosure documents for new franchisors, reviewed dozens of franchise packages for individuals considering purchase of a franchise, and represented franchisors, franchisees and motor vehicle dealers in disputes relating to their franchise relationship. He successfully represented franchisees seeking to exit their franchise systems, be released from their non-compete obligations, or recover damages from the franchisor for disclosure violations. On other occasions, he helped franchisees resist termination by their franchisors.
Areas of Practice
Franchise Law and Business Transactions In All 50 States
Case Western Reserve University Law School, Cleveland, Ohio.
Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, 1970-1972. BA, 1972.
Political Science major.
Case Western Reserve University, 1967-1969.
Chemical Engineering major.
Admitted to practice in Ohio (1975); N.D. Ohio federal court; S.D. Ohio federal court; Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals; federal district court of Arizona (pro hac vice).
Publications, Honors, etc:
- Principal author of revisions to Ohio Business Opportunity Act enacted in 2012.
- Adjunct Professor of Franchise Law, Case Western Reserve University Law School.
- Principal Presenter at Continuing Legal Education programs on Franchise Law sponsored by the Ohio Bar Association in 2008 and 2011.
- Named a “Leading Lawyer in Northeast Ohio” in the franchise law category by Inside Business Magazine each year from 2001-2011 (when the publication ceased operations).
- Named a “Super Lawyer in Ohio” in 2003 and each year from 2013 to 2019.
- Author, Franchising in Ohio; Practical Aspects of the Law, Ohio Lawyer Magazine, Summer 1993 (cited in Ohio Revised Code).
- Author, Franchise Law: Myth and Reality, Attorney At Law Magazine, January, 2016.
- Author, What’s In a Name? State Business Opportunity Statutes as Franchise Disclosure Laws. Franchise Law Journal, Vol. 38, No. 1, Summer 2018, at 105.
- Professional Associations and Memberships
- Member, Lake County Bar Association, 1989-1996 (Chairman, Corporation Committee, 1993-1996).
- Member, Ohio State Bar Association, 1989-present (Member, Corporation and Antitrust Committees).
- Member, American Bar Association, 1975-present (Member, Section of Business Law, 1975-present; Member, Forum on Franchising, 1990-present; Member, Section of Antitrust Law, 1975-1985.)
Zounds Hearing Franchising, LLC v. Bower, 2017 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 151940 (Lead attorney for successful franchisees)
Meinert Plumbing v. Warner Industries, Inc., 2017-Ohio-8863 (Expert witness for successful defendants)
Jori, LLC v. B2B Int’l, LLC, 2018-Ohio-1216 (Attorney for successful franchisee)
Listed below are a number of organizations and online references that focus on franchising or are otherwise relevant to franchise legal issues. Some items include links to the site.
- International Franchise Association
- American Association of Franchisees and Dealers
- The American Franchisee Association
- National Franchisee Association
- The International Association of Franchisees and Dealers
Recommended Franchise Websites:
General Franchise Information:
- Buying a Franchise: A Consumer Guide (Federal Trade Commission)
- Small Business Administration – The Franchise Registry
- Entrepreneur.com – Franchises & Opportunities
Franchise Legal Resources: